Research And Publications
Projects – Completed and Ongoing
- Neuroimaging studies in the premonitory phase of migraine using H2150. Project completed and submitted for publication.
- The origin of nausea in migraine – A PET study Project completed and written-up for publication
- Photic hypersensitivity in the premonitory phase of migraine – A PET study. Project completed and written up for publication.
- Premonitory phase of migraine: which symptoms are more likely to lead to headache. Project completed and written-up for publication.
- Functional connectivity of the hypothalamus- relevance in migraine Project completed and written-up for publication.
- Neuroimaging studies of chronic primary headaches using Positron Emission Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (primarily comparing the background pain in chronic migraine with the pain exacerbations in chronic migraine, episodic migraine and controls) – Project ongoing at UCSF Headache Centre, California.
- Imaging Acute Migraine Therapy with PET (using DHE combined with radioactive 11C primarily looking at site of action during acute migraine) – Project ongoing at UCSF Headache Centre, California . FDA approved for investigative use.
1. Peer Reviewed
- Anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome presenting as aseptic meningitis.Maniyar F, Rooney C,Lily O,Bazaz R.J Neurol.2009 Jul; 256(7):1190-1
- Brain hemorrhage – Clinical risk factors for subarachnoid hemorrhage. Maniyar FH, Goadsby PJ. Nat Rev Neurol. 2011 Mar; 7(3):134-5
- Paroxysmal sneezing after hypothalamic deep brain stimulation for cluster headache. Maniyar FH, Starr P, Goadsby PJ. Cephalalgia. 2012 Jun;32(8):641-4 Apr 23.
- Functional Imaging in Chronic Migraine. Maniyar FH, Goadsby PJ. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2013 May;17(5):333.
2. Non-Peer Reviewed
- NHS Evidence – Annual Update on Headache 2010 – Treatment section Maniyar FH , Goadsby PJ
- Photophobia in migraine without aura. Maniyar FH, Goadsby PJ. JW Neurology. 2011 Feb
- Reviewing: Denuelle M et al., Neurology 2011 Jan 18; 76; 213
Posters Presented at International Meetings
- Glyceryl Trinitrate Induced Immediate Headaches in a Cohort of Migraineurs Monteith T.S, Maniyar F.H, Sprenger T, Baker S.C, Goadsby P.J. 53rd Annual Scientific Meeting American Headache Society, June 2 – 5, 2011. Grand Hyatt Washington, D.C.
- Imaging the premonitory phase of migraine – New insights into generation of the migraine attack. Farooq H. Maniyar, Till Sprenger, Christoph Schankin and Peter J. Goadsby. First meeting of the International Headache Academy, May 2012
- Visual Snow: A New Disease Entity Distinct from Migraine Aura Christoph Schankin, Farooq Maniyar, Jan Hoffmann, Denise Chou, Peter Goadsby. Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, April 21 ‐ 28, 2012, New Orleans.
- Field testing the criteria for Visual Snow (Positive Persistent Visual Disturbance) Christoph J. Schankin, Farooq H. Maniyar and Peter J. Goadsby. 54th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Headache Society, June 21, 2012 to June 24, 2012, Los Angeles, CA.
- Midbrain activation in the premonitory phase of migraine: a H215O – Positron emission tomography study. Till Sprenger, Farooq H. Maniyar, Teshamae Monteith, Christoph Schankin, Peter J. Goadsby. 54th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Headache Society, June 21, 2012 – June 24, 2012, Los Angeles, CA.
- Migraine – Some Theories and Controversies. Farooq H. Maniyar and Peter J. Goadsby – for ‘The Migraine Brain’, Editor – David Borsook, Oxford University Press.
- Headache and Pain. Farooq H Maniyar and Peter J Goadsby for – ‘Imaging acute neurologic disease-a symptom based approach’, editors Massimo Filippi and Jack Simon, Cambridge University Press – in process
Ad-Hoc Reviewer for Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Post graduate Journal of Medicine
- Journal of Headache and Pain and Brain
1. On the NHS, Dr Maniyar does neurology clinics at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals at Basildon, Nethermayne, Essex. He conducts a specialist headache clinic every Friday AM at Orsett. You can discuss referral with your General Practitioner.
2. Private patients please contact Spire Hartswood Hospital, Brentwood, Essex for consultations –
Phone: 01277 266 766
Mobile: 0759 4994 675
Follow Dr. Maniyar :